Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Profile of a Russian gymnastics fan - Valeria



Valeria was sitting right next to me in the Olympiski Arena, Moscow, during the first day of the men's and women's event finals at the European Championships.  Her enthusiasm was infectious, her English excellent, and we soon got talking.  

I'm really curious to know what makes gymnastics fans tick, so asked Valeria a few questions.  She has some very interesting and well articulated opinions.






















Valeria, what would you like to say about yourself?

I'm 19 years old, live in Moscow, and study tourism management.   I love, of course, gym, cinema, travel. ))

How did you first become interested in gymnastics?

I became interested in gymnastics after watching the 2008 Beijing Olympics - in Russia, unfortunately, gymnastics is shown very rarely on the main channels, with poor commentators, so I was lucky to see it on cable TV, and I fell in love with gymnastics. :))

What is it about the sport that most excites you?

I like the gym for several reasons: it's beautiful, it's very risky, and could change at any moment.

I met you at the European Championships in Moscow this spring ... what was your highlight of that competition?


At the European Championships I liked best beam)   I love Larisa +)))

Do you attend competitions regularly? 

Only once, when we first met.  In Moscow, big gym is very rare.

Do you collect gymnastics memorabilia?

I collect gymnastic video - recording of old competitions, including regional, and load them into our social network vkontakte  ))

How do you follow all of the gymnastics news?

I watch the news on vkontakte - as well as the group there.) Here is the link - there are a lot of rare photos and video, maybe you would be interested.

Who are your favourite gymnasts and why?

My favourite gymnasts are Larisa Iordache, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, Simone Biles . I like them because they have very hard exercises.

Are you familiar with the great Soviet tradition of gymnastics of the past - the work of such gymnasts as Tourischeva, Yurchenko, Boguinskaia, Dityatin, Bilozerchev, Scherbo?

Of course, I know all the great Soviet gymnasts ))

Viktoria Komova, or Gabrielle Douglas?  Who do you prefer, and why?

For me clearly - Gabrielle Douglas. She is strong on all the exercises, while Komova emphasises the uneven bars.

What are your opinions of the Russian team?  Do you think they will be able to compete for gold at the next Olympics?

I like from the Russian teams Anastasia Grishina and Emin Garibov).  I think gold in the girls team is very little chance. America's team as a whole, is much stronger in complexity.

Are there any up and coming young Russian gymnasts who you would like to recommend we watch? 

Evgeniya Shelgunova) She is very talented.

What opinions do you have of the current Code of Points - any changes you would like to see?

I would like to see more encouraged to assess the difficulty, not performance. )


Thank you Valeria!!  I really loved Moscow, and our discussions, and hope you will continue to love gymnastics.


Would you like to tell readers about your experiences and thoughts as a gymnastics fan?  If so, please email me on rewriterussiagym@btinternet.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment