Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Mustafina riposte - I will decide if I compete on the basis of my health, says the Champion

As quickly as my posts have been published, new stories have emerged.  In my last post - you will need to read it in order to get the full picture - I said we would need to read Aliya's words, and here they are, thanks to RSport and some very vigilant readers of this blog who tipped me off!  The decision to include Aliya on the team is not as definitive as might have been taken from Valentina and Andrei's words, but then we always have the subtleties of translation to deal with.

"I do not know for sure, (my performance in the World Championships) is questionable. When I am ready, it can be a statement, but for now it's not possible. I will be looking at my health closer to departure," - said Mustafina by telephone.  She also noted that saying anything concrete about her health is difficult. "While it is difficult to say anything about the state of my health, one does need to start training. We will work in the camp at Round Lake."

In turn, the head coach of Russia Andrei Rodionenko confirmed that 'no one had refused' the possibility of Mustafina being included in the squad for the World Championships.
Yet more uncertainty - it is understandable if Aliya wants to take her time in deciding, and I am sure that we all support her in that.  Interesting that Aliya is now clearly an independent voice on the Russian team - she has earned this autonomy from the mature and professional way she has handled these difficult questions, and indeed her entire career, and we all send her our very best thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment