Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Angelina Melnikova - Tsaritsa of Russian Gymnastics



An interview with the new Russian leader Angelina Melnikova.  She sounds like such a nice, level-headed, serious girl.  I can't wait to see her compete at Europeans.  

Angelina Melnikova from Voronezh has won three top awards in the Russian Championships - in the all-around, exercise, balance beam and floor exercise. After a successful debut at the senior level the 15-year-old gymnast has been included in the national team for the European Championships, which will take place from 26 May to 5 June in Switzerland. In conversation with 'Stadion' correspondent, Alexander Barmina, the athlete shared her impressions from the competition:

- Of course, I am very happy that the competition went so well for me.  I was worried - in fact this is my first "adult" Championship. On Sunday, when the event medals were contested on the balance beam and floor, I was drawn to go first. For me, this is always easier, because when there is a wait, it is very scary, and the excitement builds. When you are first, you don't think about the possibility of falling, you just warm up and go and do everything you can do.   I had a slight error in one of my connecting elements, but otherwise everything else was done properly.

On the floor exercise it was a little bit hard - there was accumulated fatigue - especially in my legs. One of my turns was not ideal. I had to do it as if on "someone else's" leg. Many of them work in training, but it can be difficult to avoid mistakes.

I am considered an expert in the all-around, so that I don't have a favourite apparatus.  I probably don't have a weaker apparatus, either.  However, I don't yet have a second vault.  It is necessary for me to increase my values there, and improve my performance. On the other apparatus, I have simply to "clean up." On uneven bars, maybe I will add some difficulty, "connect" something. This is when it comes to preparing for the Olympics - of course, competing there is my dream.

My grandmother brought me to the gym ten years ago when I was six years old. Immediately I liked everything. When we were young, we all admired Vika Komova. When she came to us in the gym, we would always have photographs. Today I have no idols in the gym.

Source - http://stadium.ru/news/10-04-2016-angelina-melnikova-schitayus-spetsialistom-po-mnogoboryu-lyubimih-vidov-u-menya-net-otstayuschih-toje

0 comments:

Post a Comment