Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

The atmosphere of black and white

I have been doing a little research this morning for a book I am planning with Vladimir Zaglada and our translator, Lupita.

Long ago I found a wonderful website that I loved for its photographs and a brief essay on the nature of choreography. One day, I realised I couldn't find it any more.  I thought it had disappeared. It is a sadness to me that much of the history of Soviet gymnastics is disappearing; for example, try searching for pictures of Elena Shevchenko: there are few that really capture the majesty of her floor performances.

So I was very happy this morning, when I found Natasha's website again, in a truncated version, but including some of the old pictures.  I love the atmosphere of black and white and the sense of history they capture.

The site is the resume of now US-based, former Soviet team choreographer, Natasha Matveeva. Well worth a look and a read for the impressive list of gymnasts with whom she once worked.

Natasha Matveeva, her daughter Anya, and 1989 World Champion, three time Olympian Svetlana Boguinskaia, at Lake Krugloye National Training Centre in about 1989


0 comments:

Post a Comment