Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Flashback to 1972 ... Olga Korbut wins the BBC's International Sportswoman of the Year Award

I remember Olga receiving this award back in 1972 ... I was 13 years old. It was before the time of video recorders, personal computers and Youtube, and therefore a rare opportunity to savour those amazing moments from Munich again.

I was so thrilled to see Olga Korbut on my little black and white TV screen, collecting her BBC award as International Sportswoman of the Year. Gymnastics was new to me, Olga had opened my eyes to the sport, they have never closed.

There was something so special about Olga. Those moments from 1972 never lose their freshness.

With many thanks, once again, to Novosti, for reminding me of this great moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment