Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Friday, July 15, 2016

'I never thought about another sport. I only like gymnastics' - interview with Angelina Melnikova, 15 year old rising star of Russian Gymnastics


Photographs of Gelya Melnikova courtesy of the Russian Gymnastics Federation

An interview with the soon-to-be 16 year old Angelina ('Gelya') Melnikova, by Daria Boychenko for Russian website Argumentyi y Fakti.

-  Angelina, how did you first come to gymnastics?  How many years have you been in the sport?

-  I started at 6 years old, when my grandmother brought me to the gym.  First of all, I had done Russian folk dancing, but that bored me.  Someone told us about the Shtukman Sports School. I liked it there immediately, and next day took up training.

- And what 'hooked' you on gymnastics?

- When we came to the sports school, I saw a girl do a somersault.  I was so impressed with it, I also wanted to learn how to do it, right away.

- If you hadn't done gymnastics, what other sport would you choose?

- I never thought about another sport. I only like gymnastics.

- So, are you a gym fan?

- No. I do not watch competitions, I just like to train, to do what I can.

In 2013, I had serious problems with my knee. The whole year I suffered with Osgood Schlatter [a common cause of knee pain in adolescents].   It was hard to practice and I hardly trained. Somehow, though, I endured the pain, and over time it got better by itself.

- Were there times when you wanted to quit the sport?

- Yes, this time because of the pain of a very sore, inflamed ear. Usually I'm patient, and even if something hurts, I do not often tell my coach. But I just couldn't put up with this pain. After training I went home and cried, saying that I didn't want to do it any more, because tumbling hurts. Mum asked me to put up with it just a little more.  Then, we had a competition, where I won five first places. After that, once again, I wanted to train. Now I train an average of eight hours a day.  I do not even have the strength to go for a walk, some days.

- Is it more difficult on a physical or mental level?

- Sometimes it's more a matter of morale.  Especially just before competitions, when something goes wrong. You begin to fear that at the meet you won't be able to do it. It's a bit depressing.

15 year old Angelina Melnikova from Voronezh, Russia, with her coach Sergei Denisovich.  'Gelya' trains in the same gym as 2012 Olympic medallist, Viktoria Komova
- What do you prefer: training or the end result?

- It is an interconnected process. When you train for a long time, doing the same thing time and again can be frustrating.  In competition, you check yourself.  After your performance, you try to analyze and correct errors. Then in training you work to refine the problematic elements again.
- You have the Olympics just round the corner.  The level of competition has changed and everything has become more serious.  Have you turned to a new page in your life?

- I still do not understand that I am competing at this level. I just do not notice it as a matter of course. Perhaps I began to notice when I won the Russian Championships in March-April this year. Still, I only turned senior this year.

- On July 24th, you will travel to Brazil. How are you feeling now - looking forward to victory?

- I do not ever try to guess what will happen - we'll see. I just try to do my training, and I do not make predictions.

- But isn't it terrible - what if you can't live up to the country's expectations?

- Getting ready for the Olympics is always difficult mentally.  I am more worried for my team than for the country.  I do not want to let anyone down, so I hope to perform with dignity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment