Blog about Russia, Soviet Union, Olympics and artistic gymnastics. News and interviews on gymnastics champions, coaches and competitions.

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Don't panic

Although they have tested my sanity to its limits, team Russia is OK.  Seda and Aliya will have qualified to AA finals, Daria and Aliya to UB, Maria to vault.  I assume they have qualified to team finals.  They'll do better in finals now they have outed their natural, deeply held Russian need to test their emotional limits.  Seda, 'Little Tiger' to her family, showed her value as a fighter, finishing first so far in the AA standings.  The Olympics are her metier, and mistakes or not, she will only grow stronger.  Then again, we are less than halfway through quals.

Angelina has had a hard day today, but she will finish these Games a better gymnast than she started, believe me.  Support the girls and remember they are only human.  They are also, quite remarkably, less than a point behind the leading Chinese team - who have been loudly touted as possible contenders for gold.  I don't expect that Russia will fight the USA for gold on Tuesday, but I do think they will be ready to do their best.  

And who knows what change will come after the Games ... new head coaches perhaps?  Whatever happens, I see a great future for Seda and Angelina, and Dasha if she wants - hey, for Aliya and Maria too, if they decide they want it - as they lead the Russian team into the next quad. 

Follow interim scores here - https://live.fig-gymnastics.com/schedule.php?idevent=6405

I am going to buy a bottle of something strong to relax my Russian nerves.  I love the team, but four seasons in one day are really a little bit too much for me ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment